Friday, October 9, 2009
EDIS Paper
I was looking through the paper and I found that I could write about civil religion and the way some presidents have tried to use it. As an example I will use the way Abraham Lincoln mentioned God at the height of the Civil War to maintain a Union. This can be my status quo. Then Ronald and GWB as the counterargument that you do not need civil religion in order to gain elections. FInally, I can use the example of Obama as a president who is using religious rhetoric to attract voters. I do not know how much you guys are in politics, but he usually saud "I am my brothers keeper and my sisters keeper" this is such a Biblical quote I searched for un a book by a Vermont University Professor who has analyzed his rhetoric. Furthermore, I think that civil religion based in our Judeo-Chrsitian foundation plays a huge role in our society, even if we do not think about it, we do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting! It would be an interesting thing to just look at Obama's use of religious rhetoric and to try to figure out what he is doing and why.
ReplyDelete